Twenty students comprising 5 graduates and 15 others in 400 level selected from various departments of the Federal University of Technology Akure, FUTA are now at the University of Jaen, Spain for five months internship under the aegis of the European Union ERASMUS scholarship scheme. The Scholarship opportunity is borne out of the on-going 2019/2020/2021 ERASMUS joint project between FUTA with Professor Mathew Banji Oyun of the School of Agriculture and Agricultural Technology as the FUTA coordinator and Sebastian Bruque, Vice President for internationalization, as the University of Jaen, Ujaen Spain coordinator. The 5- month programme is expected to run from October 2020 to February 2021.
At a pre departure ceremony in FUTA held on Wednesday, October 7, 2020, the Vice Chancellor, Professor Joseph Fuwape admonished the students to be worthy ambassadors of the University and Nigeria saying the programme is in consonance with the internationalization drive of the institution. He said “it is a rare privilege for 20 of you to be selected out of over 4,000 students. This simply means you are a few of the best that the university is proud of. The implication of this is for you to be well behaved while in Spain as our ambassadors and by extension Nigerian ambassadors. There are regulations where you are going from the time you land. You have an eye watching you unknown to you. We are also going to monitor your progress from here. Your predecessors have good records that you must strive to sustain. This good record led to an increase in number from 10 during 2019/2020 to 20 during 2020/2021 academic session. So, you must display the highest values of discipline and hard work and refrain from all the vices and youthful exuberance.”
Professor Fuwape also reminded the students of the ongoing global health challenge. “The world is going through a serious situation at the moment. Therefore, always keep safe. Wear your masks and maintain all Covid-19 protocols. I trust that God will keep you safe till you return and you will excel in your studies. Good luck and congratulations.” Fuwape commended the effort of the Coordinator, Professor Oyun and reiterated the relevance of FUTA globally in academic and research matters.
Corroborating Professor Fuwape, FUTA coordinator of ERASMUS, Professor Banji Oyun urged the students to be well behaved and carry the image of the university and Nigeria high while in Spain. “If those before you made it, you can also make it” he added.
The Deputy Vice Chancellor, Academic, Professor Deji Ogunsemi, Director, International Strategy Office, Professor Tom Ofuya and Director, Centre for Continuing Education, Professor Chinedu Okogbue witnessed the event.
The beneficiaries of the scholarship are:
1. Ilesanmi , Bobola Victor Dept. of Biology
2. Ajayi, Ogooluwa Olumayowa Dept. of Biology
3. Fakokunde, Olumide Samuel Dept. of Biology
4. Kayode, Taiwo Michael Dept. of Biology
5. Bankole, Maugbe John Dept. of Biology
6. Afolayan, Yinka Tosin Dept. of Forestry and Wood Technology
7. Babatope, Toluwani Victoria Dept. of Forestry and Wood Technology
8. Eugene, Precious Femi Dept. of Forestry and Wood Technology
9. Olaoye, Eniola Blessing Dept. of Forestry and Wood Technology
10. Abdukareem, Mariam Omolara Dept. of Forestry and Wood Technology
11. Oniyelu, Ebenezer Oluwagbenga Dept. of Forestry and Wood Technology
12. Olawale, Taiwo Dept. of Forestry and Wood Technology
13. Origbo, Raymond Dept. of Forestry and Wood Technology
14. Olawale, Kehinde Dept. of Fisheries and Aquaculture
15. Adamson, Ahmed Adeola Dept. of Crop, Soil and Pest
16. Faloni, Taiwo Mercy Dept. of Microbilogy
17. Olaogun, Victoria Ifeoluwa Dept. of Microbiology
18. Olawamide, David Oluwagbenga Dept. of Crop, Soil and Pest
19. Ayodeji, Adeyemi Oluwadare Dept. of Biochemistry
20. Olukunle, Emmanuel Ayodeji Dept. of Agriculture and Agricultural Engineering